Wines from the Valais
Swiss wines are relatively unknown amongst foreigners. The Swiss consume almost all their wines within their borders leaving only a small percentage for exportation. Which is why we suggest that you get more familiar with the delicious Swiss wines. We would love to join you during your next visit!
The regional micro climate makes a perfect place to have vineyards, with multiple types of soils and the long hours of sun. The high sun exposure allows the grapes to ripen to their full potential giving a very exclusive and unique flavor. The Petite Arvine and the Humagne rouge are some of the popular local specialties.
Petit Arvine, Fendant and Johannisberg
The Petite Arvine has been grown in the region since 1602. It is a dry and medium sweet white wine. These grapes need a longer ripening time and that is why they are one of the last grapes harvested. This popular wine gives a rich and fruity flavor with a hint of salt and roses.
Fendant wine is made out of the white Chasselas Grape. It has received this name because the grape pops when it is ripe and you touch it. The wines of this grape are know for its dry but fruity flavor. Fendant is after the Pinot noir the most popular wine in the Valais. The wine is perfect for a nice Aperetive and is being enjoyed best with a combination of local specialties like the Famous Fondue or Raclette.
Johannisberg is a white wine that finds its roots in Austria, there it is known as Sylvaner. At the beginning of the 19th Century, Johannisberg arrived in the Swiss Rhone valley and has grown to be one of the most popular wines of Switzerland. This wine gives a rich and fruity flavor with a hint of orchard fruits and Almonds.
Cornalin and Humagne Rouge
The Cornalin wine is one of the best red wines from the Valais. This grape variety almost got extinguished during the 20th century. The Vine grows very slowly compared to other vines, is often attacked by diseases and is hard to work with. Because of the many vineyards who did a lot of effort to keep the Cornalin grape alive, it was able to survived.
Another famous red wine of the Valais is the Humagne Rouge, which is a type of the Cornalin Grape called Cornalin d’Aosta. It is named after the Aosta valley in the north west of Italy where it originates. In the Aosta Valley the Cornalin grape is now almost extinguished and now a days almost only found in the Valais in Switzerland. The wines made out of this grape are typical for very wild and rustic wines containing a lot of tannins.
Dole, Gamay And Pinot Noir
The Dôle wine is a combination of the Gamay and Pinot noir grape. To wear the name dole as a wine, it has to contain at least 85% of Pinot Noir and Gamay, the other 15% are allowed to be from other grape varieties. If the Wine only contains a mix of the 2 grapes or just one of the 2, it is also allowed to be sold under the name of “Gamay Romand” or “Pinot Noir Suisse”. This robust wine is enjoyed best during a rich meal like deer during the hunting season, or beef stew.
Some fun facts
One of the highest vineyards of Europe is Located near the village of Visp in a little place called Visperterminen, the highest place of this vineyard reaches an altitude of 1150 meters.
The Swiss wines get their character and special flavor because of the many micro climates in the Valais. A good example of this is the La Côte Vineyard near Montreux in the canton of Vaud. This micro climate is famous because of the three suns, this is because the vineyards gets long sun hours. First of all, the direct sun on the grapes, secondly the reflection of the sun on the famous Lac le Man back which reflects it back to the grapes and at last the sun which warms up the stones where the terraces are built on, the stones give back the heat to the grapes at night.
Swiss wines are relatively unknown by people outside of Switzerland, this is because Swiss wines are most of the times to expensive to be imported by other countries but are well priced within the border of Switzerland.
If you would like to experience a wine tasting in a real Swiss Cave, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to show you the best Wineries. Santé!